Saturday, April 28, 2012

"Normal" week--The Beauty of Motherhood


As I was looking through all of these pictures I thought of all the beautiful everyday memories that are being created with my family. In the pictures you don't see the stress of bills coming up, or the rushed mornings when I'm trying to get lunches, sweaters, my make-up, water bottles, my binders and purse and 3 children out the door. I do see three smiling (mostly smiling) children, a father, mother, grandparents, cousins, aunts and uncles who are enjoying each other and already looking forward to the next thing we get to do together.
Honestly, motherhood is no small task, nor for the faint of heart. But when I was talking to Nati today and her little baby girl was doing one sassy adorable thing after another I realized how individual and absolutely beautiful every child is, and how much I actually enjoy being a mother! Being a full-time mother has recently been on the attack in politics and in the media in general. As I read comments or articles I really thought about my roll as mother. Why do we do it? Why is it so rewarding? Why do we not only have one child, but two or three even!? How do you explain to someone that there really are more pros than cons, or why having a pet to avoid the hassles of raising children will never be as rewarding. Changing a diaper will never be pleasant, but seeing your baby's happy face with a clean diaper on is ALWAYS motivating enough to change another 1000 or 2000 diapers more. Waking up at 2, 4, and 6 am several times a week and putting a smile on your face the next morning is nearly impossible, but when I feel their little hands wrapped around my neck saying, "Mom today is going to be a fun day!" I just get to smile in return and hope tonight will go a lot smoother.
 The days seem long sometimes, and nights are quite short...but being a mother is definitely "the best job." Watch the video at the end of the post. I cry every time I watch it, because I'm reminded that the little things I do every day really do matter.

 I was reading through some quotes and couldn't help but laugh at these. Lets be real, motherhood isn't always rainbows and butterflies...and I think thats why it's just perfect!

"My theory on housework is, if the item doesn't multiply, smell, catch fire, or block the refrigerator door, let it be. No one else cares. Why should you? " ~Erma Bombeck


"I know how to do anything - I'm a Mom."
 ~Roseanne Barr



"I'd like to be the ideal mother, but I'm too busy raising my kids."
~Unknown



"There never was a child so lovely but his mother was glad to get him asleep."
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson



"The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."
-- William Ross Wallace

"I'm a mother with two small children, so I don't take as much crap as I used to."
— Pamela Anderson




Here's some pics of what we did these past two weeks.

David brought out clothes for him and joseph one morning (they just happen to be matching ones!) They brought out the crate and the twins told joseph they were going to get him ready. 

Jojo is definitely at their mercy now.

David was frustrated that Joseph wasn't "making his toes get in the sock!"

At last! The boot!

They were most definitely NOT cooperating for the pictures. 

Cami was sad because the boys were being silly and fell on her :(

Chanclas. Definitely my children. 

Crafts! We made butterfly magnets so they could hang their school works on the door.



"Mom, I'm ready to go out. Ok?!" How do just say, "ok!" with a straight face?

We love it when Tita and Marco come with their kids to visit. That poor bear they are sitting on has become the "couch" for movie time.

Alex and Evan playing on the swing-set, lol. 
Relaxing on a Sunday afternoon. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Sunday's with our families. 

Dad, you're a genius! My kids trust you 1000%. However, Alex and I have to hold our breath sometimes ;)

Yes the wiggle car holds at least 100 lbs :) 
Laying next to their self-portraits 
Twins at Jump On It. The one place I can sit and watch them while they jump til they're tired!

Brienne, Luke and Wesley came with us. All three kids are 3 yrs old right now. 
BFF. She invited me to the Women's Conference Concert and I have to say that I came back more inspired to not only be a better wife and mother but to be a greater woman. Julie was representing some of the first pioneer women that formed the Relief Society when the Church was organized.

Julie's momma :) 

Cami's first did-it-myself-haircut. I asked her later if she got in trouble when mom found out and she said, "No I didn't. I just wanted to try it, but mom said not to do it again. Its ok, I won't." I kindly explained why Adi CAN cut hair and why Cami CAN'T...yet. 

Dad gets credit for doing the fun stuff. He had the quarters, lol


At the Hope of America program at the Marriot Center to watch my sister-in-law Alejandra dance. I went by myself with potty-training twins and a 1 year old. I sat a few rows down from the very highest rows. So the frequent bathrooms all but wore me out! However, I left more patriotic and we cheered and cheered for Tita even though we could hardly hear our own voices.

Sometimes I need a moment to breathe, shower, go to the bathroom, eat something, change...you know those simple things most people take for granted. Only a mother knows how exciting it is when all those things mentioned above actually take place in the same day!


The quality is awful but David thought he was brilliant for figuring out how to put on everyone's tie. And he announced he was all ready for church.


On the motherhood note: My friend shared this video with me and I hope it will also inspire any mother's out there who need a little encouragement in this not-so-easy calling of ours.





2 comments:

  1. Wow! It's touching how that video means you catch your breathe. I guess we all kinda hope that our kids will show the world how amazing we've always known they are. To stand with pride and confidence knowing they have reached their dreams. And what a cherry on top to turn and look to the woman who made it possible. Thanks for sharing mel. We need these reminders more often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super Like this inspirational post!! Buena reflexion Mel, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete